At Boll & Branch, we take the sourcing of our products very seriously—and our new down pillows and duvet inserts are no exception. You may have heard some scary things about the way down and feathers are collected from ducks. As a company, we are very much against the force-feeding and live-plucking of ducks, and we would never support those practices.
We went through a lengthy sourcing process to locate American farms whose values align with ours. We found what we were looking for in Indiana, at the bucolic Culver Duck farms, where animals are protected by strict animal welfare and consumer assurance standards. The farms abide by the Five Freedoms of Animal Welfare program, as outlined here:
- Freedom from Hunger and Thirst, by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigor
- Freedom of Discomfort, by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area
- Freedom from Pain, Injury, or Disease, by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment
- Freedom to Express Normal Behavior, by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of animals of their own kind
- Freedom from Fear and Distress, by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering
As for the down-collecting process: All of the down and feathers used in our pillows and duvet inserts are byproducts of the food industry. So the ducks are being raised for food, and we are salvaging their down and feathers and putting them to good use. The farms never, ever practice live-plucking.
We never forget that you trust us to bring quality products into your home—the place where you wake up each morning and go to sleep each night; the place where you relax, recharge, and connect with the people you love. It’s a sacred responsibility. We pledge to continue to make the best products in the most thoughtful way possible.